The Success Rate of Court-Ordered Rehab

At times the courts mandate that certain individuals must be committed to a drug rehab facility against his or her will. This is beneficial in multiple ways for the addict. For instance, this court-ordered treatment keeps the drug abuser out of jail and it also provides the person with an otherwise unaffordable option. However, the addict must make a conscious decision to stop using.

That being said, studies have shown that after 3 months in a program, an addict’s chances of having a relapse are decreased. Statistics show that the motivation for entering into a rehab facility has little influence over the ending result and if the addict stays in rehab as long as the court mandated, the probability of the addict staying sober is greatly increased.

A great example is a new study done by students at Kent University, Court-ordered drug treatment reduces offending, explains how court ordered drug rehab can be a successful motivator for Recovery.  In some cases, it can be what saves a person from walking down the path that addiction leads us.

Also it is important to remember, according to United Nations International Drug Control Program, Vienna, 2003, “Length of stay in structured residential settings and continued recovery work are the clearest predictors of continued abstinence.” So it is not only important to court order someone to addiction treatment, but also be sure that it is for longer than a 28-day ‘spin-dry’ experience.

This entry was posted in Addiction and Recovery, Addiction Treatment, Drug Rehab, Long Term Treatment and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Success Rate of Court-Ordered Rehab

1. Anonymous says:

I firmly agree, My cousin recently was released from prison after being arrested for selling drugs. He was an addict as well. After being released it was impossible for him to find a job now that he had a criminal record. He had to resort to doing lawn work for little pay and various odd jobs that were not fulfilling. This, and the fact that he felt he had shamed our family, caused him to slip into depression. Since he did not have any money he could not seek psychiatric help and once again began using illegal drugs to help him forget his troubles. Prison is not the answer. The reason that people take drugs is to compensate for a feeling of enjoyment they can’t find in their real lives. Going to prison only makes it impossible to find happiness in life after release. You are forever branded as not only an x-addict but an x-con as well

2. Dave Hopkins says:

I was court ordered to be at Northbound after I had been a resident for half my stay. This closed the door to the option of running away. Which is something I have always done. I finally realized that I had to do this deal and make it trough my stay and it might be more enjoyable if I tried things a little differently. Today I am still on probation but I get kudos from the courts for finishing my stay and still staying with the company. Sometimes I have to let my higher power work in my life. When I do this, things usually turn out better anyways.

3. John says:

That alcoholics or drug addicts need to want to go to treatment for it to work is one of the most harmful and enduring myths surrounding the disease. Studies show that motivation at the point of entry has little influence over success rates, and in fact, getting someone into treatment, by any means, earlier, always increases the odds of success.

Lets hope that the trend towards alternative sentencing continues.

Great post, thanks,

John

4. Jo Anne Bennett says:

As a therapist working with young adults addicted to drugs and alcohol, I have repeatedly seen the value and importance that ‘court issues’ play in encouraging young addicts to remain in treatment long enough for their minds to clear and the effects of a positive peer culture to take effect. There are many residents who have successfully completed our year long treatment program , who would never have chose to remain without the fear of court issues hanging over their heads. Often times, in the depths of addiction, the threat of prison is the most powerful motivator of all.

5. Sure drug court does have some success, about 5 percent. It is more of a JOBS programs than anything else. County Officials provide funding for a small firm on the stock exchange and reap benifits via a sharp increase in the value of the stock.

The success rate is lower than any 12 step group. The savings to the Taxpayers would be better spent on potholes. With the Offer of Drug Court taken away. Those interested in drugs would shy away from drugs in the first place. But, as Long as the DRUG COURT (the softer road) is available Those inclined to be involved with drugs will flock to drugs knowing that Prison is no longer an issue.

6. Ivette says:

Prisoners with a drug-dependency problem should receive the adequate treatment; if prison authorities fail to do so it could be counterproductive, both for the prison system itself and for the community, if the prisoner returns to his/her community unrehabilitated and unprepared for life on the outside.. Human Rights Watch has published a very interesting article about New York inmates with substance use problems and the way the system is dealing with them.

7. Aly says: