How to Tell if Someone is Using Drugs

There are many different signs that people display when they are using drugs. Not all people display the same symptoms and many that are on drugs never display some. However, the following signs are very common and should not be ignored:

*Person becomes angry, paranoid, disrespectful, confused or moody

*Depressed

*Secretive/begins to lie about activities

*Begins to steal/starts “losing” valuable possessions

*Withdraws from usual activities

*Develops poor hygiene

*Stops sleeping or sleeps too much

*Loss of appetite

*Too much or too little energy

*Drops old friends and favorite activities

*Starts skipping school

*Loss of interest in school work/starts getting low grades

*Begins to sleep in class

*Poor concentration and memory

If you begin to see some of these signs be sure to research the following:

Southern California Drug Rehab Center

Information on Drug Rehabs

Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers

Young Adult Drug Rehab

This entry was posted in Young Adult Addiction. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to How to Tell if Someone is Using Drugs

1. Mong Vang says:

I have a hunch that my wife is on crystal meth. She is experiencing all signs of:

*Person becomes angry, paranoid, disrespectful, confused or moody
    *Depressed
    *Secretive/begins to lie about activities
    *Begins to steal/starts “losing” valuable possessions
    *Withdraws from usual activities
    *Develops poor hygiene
    *Stops sleeping or sleeps too much
    *Loss of appetite
    *Too much or too little energy
    *Drops old friends and favorite activities
    *Starts skipping school
    *Loss of interest in school work/s

I dont know who to contact or talk to to help her situation. We have recently divorced, but I still have a lot of concerns about her well being. If anyone is out there and can give me some advice about how to help her or stop her, please let me know. I really care for her, and would like to see her better. Thank you a thousand times.

2. Cooper says:

If you are concerned for your wife’s safety, please call Northbound and speak with a counselor. They can advise you on the necessary steps to take in approaching her in this delicate situation. Understand that she has to make the decision for herself to quit using, but communicating your concerns about her behavior is a powerful first step in addressing addiction issues. A depressed drug user needs to be reminded that the people around them notice their changes in mood and personality, and that their destructive actions affect others. For an addict, knowing that they are loved and being looked after can help them realize their destructive behaviors.

3. JG says:

I think my step son is taking drugs & smoking pot & my husband is in complete denial. For months his grades have been slipping, he doesn’t care about sports anymore, he now hangs around with different people, he bathes when my husband “suggests” it but then puts on the same clothing (socks, underwear, shirts, etc) that he has been wearing for days even though he has clean clothes available to him. He writes about “catching a good buzz” and calls himself “space cowboy”. He constantly doodles “trip” or “tripping” and draws little mushrooms. He locks himself in his room, in the bathroom without actually going to the bathroom, and is now burning incense. He has even burnt furniture with his incense, not seeming to care about the “burnt wood” smell, not “caring” when he saw that it was burning the furniture, and not caring the ash was falling on him and his bedding. He has dismantled the smoke alarms around his room & bathroom claiming “showers set them off”. The stench in the bathroom and his room was so horrible I washed the walls, cleaned the carpets and ended up throwing out rugs, shower curtains, and curtains because I couldn’t get the smell out. I have other children, including a 4 year old that I am extremely worried about being around all of this. Especially that he is burning things. I was told “just pot” wouldn’t make him so “out of it” that his “alert” senses wouldn’t kick in with the smell of smoke, actually seeing something burning, nor caring about ashes falling on him and possible burning his sheets. With his taking apart the smoke detectors I am afraid to have him in my home for fear he is going to burn it down with us in it. I am afraid to have my other children around the “second hand smoke” and on top of it, I am severely allergic to narcotics, nsaids, analgesics, etc and am worried about being subjected to it. My husband is shrugging it off saying he has “talked to him” but it hasn’t stopped. What can I do? I don’t want him around the other kids, me, or in my home.

4. Chase says:

I think this is RETARDED see i experimented with weed and quit and haven’t smoked in over a year and i still have all those symptoms above but i don’t smoke it retarded!

5. cheesebeer says:

I am a cocaine addict. I do not and have never tried crack, and I do not inject it or condone it. I never would try to convince someone to try cocaine. Drugs are a big part of my life because I allowed them to be. People need to realize that every substance you put into your body is a drug. I snort cocaine on saturday night. Those that like to smoke do their drug on breaks from work. Even tea can be abused. Almost every person uses a drug. Legal or illegal, a drug is a drug. Your choice to do it is really your decision.

in college i smoked a lot of pot. I was an A student through my under grad and masters. I thought it didnt cause harm. Twenty years later, I can say it really did not cause me any harm, but others were not so lucky. Many friends ended up in police / court trouble from stupidity (driving with a headlight out, being pulled and the police smell it…innocent crap put them in jail) But that is what pot is for though. Because of its legal status, pot smokers need to be careful. They need to realize that you can go to jail for it. Make this kid realize that there serious ramifications to using pot. Also warn him that pot burns to make the smoke…This indicates FIRE and burning up furniture is not acceptable.

After getting out of the university, I landed a very good job that paid handsomly. Because of my pot connections, I was able to get other drugs to spend money on. I did LSD, shrooms, K, and a lot of cocaine. When people say “pot is a gateway drug”, they are full of sh#t. It was the people connections and my social life that got me into other drugs. Pot itself isnt going to make this kid take Oxycontin or inject heroin. Pot is not really a gateway for other drug use, but often it is a stopping point. People that like a pot high do not fall into the same category as a coke user or even a drinker. A pot high is very different from other drugs and those who do it tend to enjoy it for what it is and can walk away from it easily.

While pot is not really healthy, its impact by itself is no worse than being hooked on tobacco. Give the kid a break. After college, he will realize that you cant be stoned and earn a nice living. Just warn him to avoid the temptation of pills and cocaine from those druggie friends. Besides, college-aged kids never have money to fund an addiction…And no one has ever died from a marajuana overdose.

Most people “outgrow” smoking pot. Those who continue smoking it learn how to do so without risk of it becoming a problem, as drinking often does.

Maybe its a phase, maybe its a lifelong enjoyment. The point is that its not really that bad to smoke pot. People make it out to be bad and criminalize those who elect to use it, and thats what the real problem is- acceptance. Alcohol is far worse a drug but its legality makes it acceptable. Be glad that he elects to use pot while other kids are drinking and using prescription drugs.

6. em says:

umm i have pretty much all these symptoms and i have NEVER once experienced drugs ever

7. Jenna Hill says:

JC (letter on March 21st, 2009 at 3:17 pm)

Above this page there is a note: (See Below):

If you or somebody you know is struggling with addiction, please call us today at (888) 730.0905 to learn how we can help, or fill out the Contact Us form and somebody will be in touch with you promptly.

You have to call the above number and tell them that you suspect someone in your home is on drugs. Then you have to call Social Services and tell them that you are concerned and you need their help to protect your children.

If you deal with this alone you may not win because your husband is avoiding the problem. I have a daughter and I will not allow anyone using drugs to live in my house.

8. Chloe Grant says:

Please help. I am 19 years old and have had a friend addicted to drugs before. Now I suspect my best friend who’s 18 is on drugs. We used to do everything together talk on the phone for hours and tell each other everything. Now since the start of the summer she has become closely involved with her cousin Darren who is 22 and since she barely has time for me, its all about him. She will ignore my texts and calls questioning if she’s ok and times Iv had him threatening me telling me she doesn’t want to know me. A few weeks ago I noticed different behaviours in her. The day of our leaving cert results she was very depressed and next thing a while later she was incredibly happy, This happened a few times but when i asked she claimed it was coffee. Last week we spoke for the first time in a while she was very giddy and barely making any sense to me she said she would speak to me the next day, but the next day I heard nothing and same the next. Just had Darren at me again. Now tonight a week later I have her turn and pretty much tell me she doesn’t want to know me. Everything has been based around Darren. She does have friends that are involved in drugs some of which I would know but not very well so she can have easy access. I have just been told that Darren had been involved in an incident involving drugs. I cannot tell by her physical appearance as it has been a while since I have seen her. I need help how can I tell?

9. unknowned says:

okay well my cousin is using drugs and im sure because almost every day of the weekend her myspace say “getting high.” Im pretty sure she is but how can we tell her mom?

10. stacey says:

Hi, I am a mother of a son and I found out was using heroin…..I didn’t find out from his girlfriend who lived with him, she kept it from me. I wish that she had told me sooner, and I didn’t find out when I did. Too much time passed and addiction already set in. A struggle that we are all still going through. Please tell her mother. Just let her know that you suspect her using, go on line and print off some stuff for her on how do I know if someone is using drugs. Research for her. Weather she believes you or not, she will at least have what you printed off for her to reference back too- when she is ready and ready to admit. Chances are she knows something but is afraid to admit it…….

11. stacey says:

Another thing you could do is ask your Aunt to be your friend on myspace. This way she will be able to read the things her daughter is saying. Good luck!